Saturday, April 18, 2015

New set up for back curtains



As some of you have read we continue to improve and maintain Shawnee.  We added bow thrusters and a full enclosure when we purchased it 2004.  Today the cockpit rear curtains needed the zippers replaced again because of the damaging sun and salt.  [A shop in Coconut Grove did a great job]  The pictures show how changing the placement of the zippers allows us to mount the dinghy engine onto the rail (see engine mount -red top- in the picture) without the curtain being in the way.  It will be easier to use the pulley and raise the dinghy engine onto the rail when we sail off shore. We'll be able to roll up the curtain just where the engine sits and work the other portions of the vinyl independently.  When the full vinyl is rolled up the exit out to the ladder to the dinghy is much wider for loading and unloading.



 When we bought our '99 Island Packet 380 in 2004 we felt like it was fully loaded: a water make, solar panels, wind generator, full navigation with a linx system and radar, SSB communications, below deck remote navigation.  We thought we could be off the grid with a strong wind.  However, we've come to know we still need to run our engine daily to keep up with refrigeration/freezer, 16 hour computer use, VHF and the overall amount of electricity we use.  We've purchased LED lights for everything...tried to reduce consumption.  The solar panels and wind generator can't keep up with how much we use.
So it goes with Shawnee today.

ASIDE:  Meanwhile in NYC my daughter and son-in-law surprised me with a present for taking care of 3 month old Isabelle this month which is a joy for me.  I was shocked:  2 tickets to see "Book of Mormon," one ticket for me and one for my son.    A mother son outing.  Can't wait.  Hurray Broadway. 
  Friday night my niece and I went over to my son's family for dinner.  Saturday morning I drove over to watch my grandson play 6 year olds' basketball in Brooklyn. That afternoon we drove out to Pelham to deliver my daughter's bookcase (she's getting rid of things before she moves to LA)  to my niece, and we had a nice walk along the park and beach there with Isabelle too--79 degrees today!

No comments: